- Landmine, ERW casualties rising in Arakan State amid ongoing conflict
- Eight children killed or injured in two days of shelling, UXO blasts in Hpakant
- Junta launches offensive to retake strategic Point 666 hilltop base in Bago Region
- Civilian casualties rise in Kyaukphyu amid junta artillery and airstrikes
- Weekly Highlights from Arakan State (Feb 9 to 15, 2026)
Former Arakan State chief minister indicted on incitement charge
Former Arakan State Chief Minister U Nyi Pu was indicted on Friday as he appeared via video link for a hearing into the lawsuit brought against him under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code, an incitement provision.
09 Jul 2021

DMG Newsroom
9 July 2021, Sittwe
Former Arakan State Chief Minister U Nyi Pu was indicted on Friday as he appeared via video link for a hearing into the lawsuit brought against him under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code, an incitement provision.
U Nyi Pu made a statement at the hearing in which he pleaded not guilty, said lawyer U Aung Sit Min, but the Sittwe Township Court proceeded with an indictment against him under Section 505(b), which criminalises speech “likely to cause fear or alarm in the public.”
U Nyi Pu’s next court hearing has been scheduled for July 22, when prosecution witnesses who have already been questioned previously will testify again, U Aung Sit Min said.
Deputy Sittwe Township Administrator U Kyaw Thein opened the lawsuit against U Nyi Pu on February 22, some three weeks after the military seized power in a coup and began arresting hundreds of National League for Democracy (NLD) politicians, activists and supporters.
U Nyi Pu has been charged in connection with a statement issued by the NLD’s Central Executive Committee on February 13.
Conviction under Section 505(b) carries with it a sentence of up to two years in prison.
U Nyi Pu is being detained in a military cantonment and is in good health, his lawyer said.


