- AA urged to step up fight against illegal fishing in Arakan waters
- Junta's Counteroffensives and the Momentum of the Revolution
- Junta attacks in two Arakan townships cause over 50 casualties in two weeks
- Rakhine Nationalities Party launches election campaign, opens office in Kyaukphyu
- Fear of junta airstrikes drives further migration from Arakan State
Junta attacks in two Arakan townships cause over 50 casualties in two weeks
Nineteen civilians were killed and 34 injured in Myanmar military artillery shellings and aerial bombardments in Arakan State's Kyaukphyu and Mrauk-U townships during the two weeks from August 14 to 27.
29 Aug 2025

DMG Newsroom
29 August 2025, Kyaukphyu
Nineteen civilians were killed and 34 injured in Myanmar military artillery shellings and aerial bombardments in Arakan State's Kyaukphyu and Mrauk-U townships during the two weeks from August 14 to 27.
The number of deaths and injuries was 21 in Kyaukphyu Township and 32 in Mrauk-U Township, according to a DMG tally.
A mortar shell fired by a Myanmar Navy vessel exploded in Zin Chaung Village, Kyaukphyu Township, on August 27, injuring 51-year-old U Min Min Gyi in his head and left hip.
"Although the fighting is taking place around Kyaukphyu, the military is also frequently shelling, bombing, and shooting at villages far from the fighting areas, causing casualties," said a local man in Kyaukphyu.
Fighting between the Myanmar military and the Arakan Army (AA) continues in Kyaukphyu Township, with the former supporting its ground presence with airstrikes and heavy weapons fire from Myanmar Navy ships.
Tens of thousands of locals from more than 30 villages have fled their homes for safer locales due to the military regime's airstrikes and artillery fire.
Kyaukphyu residents say they are feeling insecure because the regime is attacking villages where civilians live but no fighting is taking place.
"Previously, those who fled the war would flee their villages because of the fighting, but now, more people are fleeing because of the heavy weapons and bombs being dropped by the military regime. In fact, I think this kind of attack on civilians, not on the battlefield, is just spreading fear among people," said a female social worker in Kyaukphyu Township.
The military regime, facing military defeat on the Arakan front, is using its naval and air forces to attack without distinction between military and civilian targets, in violation of the international laws of war.
A junta jet fighter dropped two large bombs on Mrauk-U's Daing Kyi Ward on August 25, killing 14 people including some children and injuring 18 others.
The military regime's attacks have caused widespread psychological and physical trauma for the local population, prompting the Arakan Army to step up security.
"Since the military regime bombed Mrauk-U on August 25, markets have not been as busy as usual. People are also more cautious and afraid of hearing the sound of airplanes. The military regime does whatever it wants, so there is no guarantee of security for the people," said a local woman in Mrauk-U.
The BNI-Myanmar Peace Monitor reports that Arakan State has had the highest number of civilian fatalities from military conflict across the country, making it one of the most dangerous regions for civilians.
According to data from BNI-Myanmar Peace Monitor, more than half (59 percent) of all civilian deaths nationwide between 2022 and July 2025 occurred in Arakan, northern Shan State, and Sagaing Region, with 760 deaths in Arakan, 540 in northern Shan State, and 512 in Sagaing Region.