Regime demands return of four TNLA-held towns in China-mediated talks

The Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA) and the Myanmar regime have held successive meetings with Chinese mediation, with recent discussions now assessed to have reached a tense stage.

By Admin 19 May 2026

TNLA fighters. Photo: TNLA
TNLA fighters. Photo: TNLA

DMG Newsroom

19 May 2026, Namsang, northern Shan State

The Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA) and the Myanmar regime have held successive meetings with Chinese mediation, with recent discussions now assessed to have reached a tense stage.

During talks held in Kunming, China, on May 12 and 13, the regime demanded the return of four townships in northern Shan State currently controlled by the TNLA, according to northern Shan sources familiar with the meeting.

The towns demanded were Namtu, Mongngot, Monglone, and Nankham. The sources said the TNLA rejected the proposal, and no agreement was reached as discussions broke down.

A source close to the talks said, “The regime and the TNLA met through China’s mediation. The regime demanded that four townships currently under TNLA control be returned to its administration. The TNLA rejected the demand, so no agreement was reached. It is still unclear what will happen next.”

The regime delegation was reportedly led by Lt-Gen Ko Ko Oo and Lt-Gen Ni Lin Aung. Senior TNLA officials and Chinese representatives also attended the meeting.

Within 2025, the regime recaptured Nawnghkio, Kyaukme, and Hsipaw townships previously controlled by the TNLA, while Mogok and Momeik were also returned to regime control in October 2025 under Chinese pressure.

Although the TNLA seized 12 townships across northern Shan State and Mandalay Region during Operation 1027, it later had to return five townships to the regime. Kutkai Township was handed over to the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army.

At present, the regime is demanding four of the six remaining TNLA-controlled townships. If they are returned, the TNLA would be left administering only Namsang and Mantong, which were previously designated as the Palaung Self-Administered Zone.

Analysts say the demand exceeds what the TNLA can realistically concede, raising the possibility of renewed tensions in northern Shan State.

A political analyst from Lashio said, “The regime’s demand is quite excessive. It appears they only want TNLA to retain Namsang and Mantong. This issue has been raised before and is now being repeated. Since it goes beyond what the TNLA can accept, the outcome remains uncertain. We will have to watch whether military tensions rise again.”

DMG has contacted TNLA spokesperson Lway Yay Oo for comment on the talks in China, but there has been no response yet.

Political observers also warn that continued pressure by the regime on territories held by ethnic armed organizations under ceasefire discussions could further complicate peace prospects with groups that have not yet agreed to ceasefires.